Respite & Breaks

Respite care can give family carers a break from some of the daily routines and take much needed time for them. A longer break will provide time needed for both physical and emotional wellbeing.

Care & Support At Home

Some Domiciliary Care Agencies provide a respite package of care at home, enabling a family carer to take some time out of the week on a regular basis. This also means that the loved one with dementia can remain in their familiar surroundings.

Services available in Swansea include Home Instead Senior Care and Kareplus. Other Care at Home Services are available in Swansea and these are listed on the following website: Homecare.

Day Centres

Swansea Council have some fantastic day centres and social groups. An assessment is needed before someone can attend a day centre. Call the common access point on 01792 636519 for more information.

Short Break In A Care Home

A short stay in Residential Care can enable a carer to go on their own holiday or provide regular planned breaks. They are also used to help with unanticipated situations that a family carer might find themselves in. To access this type of support,from the local authority, call the common access point on 01792 636519 or visit Swansea Council’s Short Breaks section. Your contact at social services will advise you if funding is available.

Private Respite Support

You could choose to arrange and fund your own respite care break. Here are a list of local care homes in the Swansea area that offer respite care.

Remember Me

Remember Me provides a weekly session of stimulating activities including singing and games on Thursdays from 12.00 noon to 15.00 at the Norton Lodge Day Centre, Norton Road, Mumbles. Visitors to the group are unaccompanied to provide a valuable break, or respite for partners / carers of someone living with Dementia. Lunch is available and transport may be provided dependent upon your location.

This service is operated as a partnership between Swansea Council and the Red Café community project who provide specialist staff and volunteers. Access, for people with an appropriate diagnosis, is by referral from a Social Worker or via the Common Access Point (CAP) for Health and Social Care at the Civic Centre. E-mail: Tel: 01792 636519

Other Charities my also provide some respite like Swansea Carers Centre – Ty Conway

Previous Section

Next Section

Need more information? Feel free to get in touch!